Every bigger city has an alternative scene with a warm feeling of familiarity like the feeling of home. Where young souls can meet, exchange ideas, and create new ones. Art is there not only in the visual or musical form but most importantly in the creative way of thinking. Today Metelkova – Ljubljana’s alternative quarter is celebrating its 19th anniversary.
You can check out the website and navigate among clubs and current events here.
“Autonomous culture center Metelkova city started out as a solution to a space shortage for cultural and social activities and to prevent the former army buildings to be taken down by the city’s authorities.
Through time it transformed into a unique space and a social experiment and long ago its significance already outgrew the city and country frames.
Today Metelkova city is a well-recognized and irreplaceable community. There are daily and night happenings, art, and social, economic and cultural, political and educational, individual and collective, architectural and social work, psychotherapy and safety, only to mention some.
On Metelkova one can find a circus, gallery rooms, lesbian and gay club, university, tea house, kitchen, many music clubs, sports alley, music studio, NGO’s premises, libraries, a youth hostel, art studios, craft workshops, and more and more. The main idea is to offer a lot of open space to be able to connect all of the above.”
When I came there for the first time I immediately felt welcomed and accepted. It was so refreshing. Think of it, I have always been a huge fan of relaxed atmospheres. And last but not least, the fun part of Metelkova is: You never know what is going to happen next. Come and enjoy the free spirit.
Read more interesting articles:
- STRUNJAN – the Most Pristine Part of Slovenian Coast
- One of the Healthiest Waters In the World: Mineral Spring Water in Slovenia
- Hiking is a Way of Life in Slovenia – A Hiking Paradise in Central Europe
- How a Trip to Slovenia Rekindled My Connection to Nature
- Back to Nature – Travel to Northwestern Slovenia
- Cycling in Ljubljana
- Electric Cars Offering Free Rides in Ljubljana
- Library Under the Treetops in Ljubljana
- Where is Ljubljana, Slovenia?
- Why Slovenia is One of the Best Travel Destinations