I absolutely love hiking.
This probably comes from my upbringing because everyone in Slovenia does hiking – almost every free moment they get!
Just today we went up a locally very popular hill and we met so many people either going up or down, enjoying nature and fresh air. When we reached the top we sat down to soak in the view while sipping homemade tea. Of course, I also had to order traditional pastries to go with the tea.
Something I noticed is that everyone in Slovenia has a lot of respect for nature. So despite the high numbers of people going hiking every day, you won’t find any litter in the forests.
Hiking is so good for you. Mountains and hills provide a sanctuary away from the hustle and bustle of the town, from everyday worries and stresses. When you are up there looking down at the earth you feel like you are a part of something bigger.
This is an excerpt from my book A Year of Gratitude. If you would like to read more about my one-year project on practicing gratitude you can find the full version on the link above.
Read more interesting articles:
- Why Taking a Career Break Is Good For You
- A Year of Changes, Growth & Being Bold
- The Pandemic Made Me Re-Evaluate My Life
- Finding Joy in a Simple Life
- STRUNJAN – the Most Pristine Part of Slovenian Coast
- Missing the Good Weather and Being Outdoors
- FORAGING WILD GARLIC – How to Find Wild Garlic
- Cycles of Life and Why Nature is the Best Therapy
- Foraging for Wild Asparagus & Asparagus Frittata Recipe
- How to Forage Dandelion Greens & How to Make a Spring Salad with Wild Edible Flowers