Plants have always been one of my passions, but since moving to the UK I haven’t had access to a garden.
Now that I have a balcony I have space for more plants. I mostly focus on growing herbs because I love to use them in my cooking. This year I also tried growing watercress which makes a great salad or a sandwich topping, and it’s so easy to grow.
There is also a special plant we keep indoors – an avocado plant – which is kind of our baby. We started growing it from seed at the beginning of our relationship. Ian took care of it for the first months and then we transported it to every flat we moved to. It looks a bit funky but we like it. It never produces any avocados though. 🙂
Sowing, watering, and tending to plants gives me joy and has a calming, grounding effect.
I am very passionate about sustainability and nature, therefore I encourage everyone to take steps, no matter how big or small, towards leading a more sustainable life.
This is an excerpt from my book A Year of Gratitude. If you would like to read more about my one-year project on practicing gratitude you can find the full version on the link above.
Read other interesting articles:
- Why Taking a Career Break Is Good For You
- A Year of Changes, Growth & Being Bold
- The Pandemic Made Me Re-Evaluate My Life
- Finding Joy in a Simple Life
- STRUNJAN – the Most Pristine Part of Slovenian Coast
- Missing the Good Weather and Being Outdoors
- Cycles of Life and Why Nature is the Best Therapy
- Foraging for Wild Asparagus & Asparagus Frittata Recipe
- How to Forage Dandelion Greens & How to Make a Spring Salad with Wild Edible Flowers
- One of the Healthiest Waters In the World: Mineral Spring Water in Slovenia